So I renamed this blog site. A “Wharf Rat” is a clean and sober devotee of the Grateful Dead. As I told someone once, “It was all about the music after all.” The sinking ship is the ship of fools sung about in the GD song of the same name, which implores you to “don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.”
May the four winds blow you safely home.
WaPo 1/4/18: Millions face delayed tax refunds, cuts to food stamps as White House scrambles to deal with shutdown’s consequences
In an earlier post I defined a Republican member of Congress as someone who so wants conservative Supreme Court justices and tax cuts that they are willing to destroy a country in order to get conservative Supreme Court justices and tax cuts. Their ignoble leader in the White House apparently is willing to destroy a country in order to get minimal funding for a border wall, the lack of which will not threaten the nation’s security but will make him look bad. That is ALL he cares about. TSA people can’t afford to go to work. Don’t care. People can’t eat. Don’t care. People are shitting (literally) all over national parks. Don’t care. People won’t get tax refunds as expected. Don’t care. I said there would be a wall, and if there is no wall, then I look bad.
If you find this completely insane, you are not alone. But if you think this insanity will move Donnie’s “base” off its adulation of him, you are wrong. They see something in him that you don’t see. This disparity is not political, it’s existential. A political perfect storm brought Donnie into the White House on a wave of existential chaos. The political goal is to get Donnie outta there; the existential one is to give the base reasons to feel less shitty about their existence. When I figure out what that is, I’ll be sure to let y’all know.
© Joseph Galligan 2019
A holy trinity of three people, that’s who. Stormy Daniels, LaVar Ball and now Omarosa. How do they succeed where others fail? Because they play Donnie’s game, and they play it just as hard as he does. They have no limits on the extremes they will go to. He can call Omarosa a lowlife and a dog, and she goes, “Here’s a tape of me being offered 15 grand a month to not say what I know about you. Bow wow.” What was she thinking in turning that down? First, fifteen grand is chump change on her horizon and besides, you are all big on when hit, hit back harder. “Well, welcome to the big leagues of hitting hard, you fat fuck,” says the black, female Donnie.
© 2018 Joseph Galligan
So here’s the deal. You do not have to pay any money to the IRS, but:
- You cannot drive on interstate highways
- Neither you nor your children can enlist in any branch of the U.S. military
- If you are on a sinking boat, you cannot be rescued by the Coast Guard
- You cannot take any medication approved by the Food and Drug Administration
- You cannot take part in any clinical trial sponsored in any way by the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- You cannot receive any medical therapy that is a direct result of NIH research
- No illness you develop can be reported to the Centers for Disease Control
- You cannot receive medical care from any doctor who had their medical education paid for in lieu of national service
- You cannot receive medical care from any health care professional who was trained in the U.S. military
- You cannot visit any national park, camp in any national forest or enroll in senior discount programs for these locations
- You cannot lease any land or exploration rights from the Department of the Interior or any other federal agency
- You cannot buy a house under any Department of Housing and Urban Development program
- Your funds in bank accounts cannot be insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- If you farm, your crops cannot be insured by any U.S.Department of Agriculture (USDA) program, and you are also not eligible for any USDA subsidy programs
- If you are having trouble buying enough food, you are not eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also a USDA program
- If your property is destroyed in a flood, hurricane, earthquake or tornado, you are not eligible for any Federal Emergency Management Agency program
- You cannot fly on any airplane that is under the jurisdiction of any federal air traffic control agency
- Even if you could fly on an airplane, you cannot be screened by the Transportation Security Agency
- If you live near a Superfund site, your property is excluded from remediation by the Environmental Protection Agency
- If you work in a physically dangerous environment, your particular job in the workplace cannot be protected by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. If you leave your job, then it can.
- If you are a veteran, you and no member of your family can receive any benefits or services from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Your children cannot be enrolled in any school supported by Department of Education programs, including vouchers for private/charter schools
- Your college-age students are ineligible for Pell Grants and cannot submit a Federal Student Aid form for any other tuition assistance
- Your smart phone is not eligible for protection under any Federal Communications Commission program
- You cannot drive an over-the-road truck because you are not eligible for any Federal Traffic Safety Administration certifications
- You cannot get a passport from the U.S. Department of State
- If you are in trouble in a foreign country, you cannot get help from the State Department (except you are unlikely to be in a foreign country because you can’t get a passport)
Enjoy your tax-free life.
© 2018 Joseph Galligan
In the news:
Who cares? I never eat fish.
Not for me.
My son is a good boy. He loves me.
I don’t care about Supreme Court. I stacked it. And I still won’t release my tax returns.
John Kasich is an ugly loser.
After all I’ve done for her.
The people are the people at my rallies. They love me. The people who hate me are not the people. The people who love me are the people. Therefore, I am the people.
All a bunch of disgusting losers.
A real man. I loved all his movies.
Not a rant! Our highways are crawling with Chinese cars! Disgusting.
How smart can a basketball player be anyway? He never even went to college.
Look what I’ve done for the stock market. They love my tax cuts. The Chinese and Germans would be losers if they weren’t ripping us off. Those Chinese cars make me very, very angry! And I don’t really understand what the big deal about soybeans is.
© 2018 Joseph Galligan
In reference to the SNL skit Black Jeopardy! I noted on FB that this skit, especially the one with Tom Hanks, is the best thing ever to get at why some well-meaning white people do more harm to black people than good.
Here is a perfect example from the comedian D.L. Hughley. I am not going to use the “n word” here even though I would be quoting him directly.
Hughley says: Some people got upset about the word n—– in Huckleberry Finn. So they went in and changed everywhere it said n—– to “slave.” I don’t know about you, but I’d rather be called a n—– than a slave. You call me a n—– I won’t like it, but at least I get to go home to my own house. You call me a slave, I gotta go to your house. That’s how that shit works.”
Changing n—– to slave is an ultimate ham-handed action taken by what my father called “do gooders.” Like “My name is Josh/Jason/Olivia/Emily, and I’m here to help you.” You know what? Stop with the help.
I still have a hard time looking at this picture four days after this dog (Mort) went to the other side. I believe that dogs occupy a space in some of our lives (and mine) that is primal and touches something that other humans just don’t reach.
This dog would be so excited when I got home that he would cry like a puppy even at frail, deaf, half-blind, tumor-in-his-mouth 16 years old. I used to work in a very stressful job working with people in treatment for addictions, and as a clinical supervisor I was also almost constantly frustrated by the management of the place where I worked, and this greeting from him would make all that slip away. Bourbon used to do that for me — until it didn’t anymore.
This dog connected with me on a basic level of just sharing being alive. He needed me for food and shelter, and I needed him to remind me that caring for and about an animal grounds me like nothing else can.
Per the Furry Lewis song also done by Dave VanRonk (“Old Blue”), when I get his ashes back I’m going to dig his grave with a silver spade and lower him down with a golden chain. With every link I will call his name.